There’s been a bit of movement revolving around the third Tom Holland Spider-Man instalment for the Marvel Cinematic Universe in the past few weeks so we thought we’d break down what we know at the moment.
Tom Holland is a very busy guy at the moment. He resumed filming of the Uncharted film a few months ago and now, he is about to begin production on the third MCU Spider-Man movie. In recent weeks, we’ve got a few updates and thought we’d update everyone on what’s currently going on. Don’t worry because everything we’re about to mention is very good news!
Outside of Tom Holland, much of the cast from the previous two instalments have not yet been confirmed. Please note that this information comes from the Spider-Man 3 page of the MCU Fandom.
Here’s what we know at the moment regarding who will appear in the movie:
- Tom Holland will return as Peter Parker/Spider-Man
- Zendaya is reprising her role as Parker’s girlfriend, Michelle Jones “MJ”
- Jacob Batalon returns as Peter’s BFF, Ned Leeds
- Marisa Tomei is back as Peter’s aunt, May Parker
- Tony Revolori is coming back as Flash Thompson
- Jamie Foxx joins the cast as Max Dillion/Electro – he will have the same backstory as the character does in the Amazing Spider-Man 2 but will not be ‘blue’
- Benedict Cumberbatch makes his first appearance in a Spider-Man movie as Stephen Strange/Doctor Strange – Cumberbatch will film his part in the film before he starts production on the second Doctor Strange movie
There is not a lot of information on the plot of the film at all, but it will carry on the narrative that was teased at the end of Far From Home.
- Peter deals with the aftermath of being framed by Mysterio for the attack on London.
- Possible set up for a Sinister Six movie later down the track.
- Possible inklings of S.W.O.R.D and Skrull involvement as teased in the mid and post credit scenes of Far from Home.
- Peter and MJ’s relationship likely to grow but depends on how much trouble Parker is in for what happened in Europe.
Other Production Notes
The film will begin filming in Queens and likely Atlanta, Georgia depending on what the story is.
Jon Watts will be back as director.
Due to the coronavirus, the film’s release has been pushed back to December 2021.
Questions We Have
- Will Wong appear?
Answer: Unknown. Just because Strange appears doesn’t mean Wong will. After all, Strange appears in Thor: Ragnarok without Wong.
2. Will the film continue to develop May and Happy’s relationship?
Answer: Again, this is unknown. Jon Favreau hasn’t been confirmed to reprise his role as Happy. He might not appear given his role in production for The Mandalorian. He might have a small role like he did in the previous two movies, but he was there primarily as a buffer to hand intel over to Tony or Fury on Peter. Now that Stark is dead and Fury is dealing with S.W.O.R.D., there’s not really any need for him, but Happy’s relationship with may might be referenced to some degree if he doesn’t appear.
3. Will Betty appear?
Answer: Unknown. Angourie Rice has not been announced as part of the cast. There’s still a lot of cast unknown.
4. Will Electro mention his time in the Amazing Spider-Man 2?
Answer: As of the writing of this post, it is unclear whether the Garfield Spider-Man films are related to the MCU. However, given the use of J. Jonah Jameson from the Tobey Maguire Spider-Man movies, it’s possible these three sets of Spidey films (Maguire, Garfield, Holland) are linked in one way or another. Also, since Doctor Strange will appear in the movie, it’s likely that Electro has somehow landed in the world of the MCU from another dimension or Earth.
5. Will Mysterio return in some form?
Answer: There’s no right or wrong to this question. There’s no evidence to suggest that Mysterio is alive or not. We want to say the likelihood of him coming back is 50/50. However, given that Mysterio’s goons are still running around, there is very possibility someone else takes on the mantle.